When Zahir Khan of Bikaner House Galleries sent me an invitation to attend the opening of Mein Warli Hun — “I am Warli” — by Sanjay Parhad, I did not know that it was an invitation to a wonderful world. I could not attend the opening of the show. Somehow, I felt that I needed to reach out to Zahir and tell him that I would definitely make it before it was over. Yesterday, the 28th of September, was the last day of the show, and I rushed to Bikaner House. I realised how poor I would have remained had I missed it.
Presented by Jas Karan Gupta of Indian Arts Corner and curated by Chaavi Jain, Sanjay Parhad’s exhibition was a great experience. Parhad’s works are made along the traditions and canons (if any) of Warli painting. Hailing from Palghar in Maharashtra, Parhad is an environmental and Adivasi rights activist and a farmer who works in the field every day. He learnt Warli painting from his grandmother. In these works, he portrays the world of the Warli philosophical system as well as the folk mythologies in which Mahadev and Gauri play a great role. Bagh Dev, the tiger god, also appears in many paintings, protecting the daily life of his people in the village.
Warli paintings move between a set grammar and a loose structure. The grammar comes out of mindless repetition, as Warli painters (and, in that case, all folk painters) are not trained “formally”. They learn through observation and repetitive practice from their elders. As they do not have a model of perfection (as in the case of the Greco-Roman models in the academies), they improvise without straying far from their internal ritualistic and normative practices. This gives Warli art a sort of grammar, but the loose structure is an outcome of the artistic imagination of those who are much more daring and have developed a personal approach to their cultural expressions and existence.
Parhad is an innovator without straying away from Warli traditions. But his fine imagination and polished craft make the general Warli style into something extremely sophisticated. While the stick figures with inverted triangles as their bodies and the employment of multiple perspectives are intact in Parhad’s paintings, he converts folk stories that he listened to in his childhood into complex visual narratives, with the same figure appearing several times in different spaces within the painting. It is like the hunting scenes in a Mughal miniature painting, where a tiger appears a few times as it is pursued and hunted down.
For instance, the curator of the exhibition, Chaavi Jain, explained the story of a smart rat whose tail was accidentally cut by a barber while removing a thorn stuck to it. This smart rat takes a pair of scissors as compensation from the barber and exchanges them with a basket weaver for a bamboo basket. Through a series of exchanges, this rat even gets a bride, then a drum, and finally meets his accidental death in a freakish fall from a tree. Hilarious — but what a wonderful way Parhad has painted it.
In one of the paintings, Parhad depicts Delhi, the city. We recognise the painting instantly because of the unmistakable presence of the monuments. The curator tells me that the artist paints people in pairs when he paints a city, but when he paints the stories of his village, he paints people in groups or in chains, symbolic of their mutual dependence or connected lives. So is the case with the flora and fauna in the villages. They also do not have a separate existence. There is a painting of a set of migratory birds coming in concentric circles and making the painting vibrate with the flapping of their wings.
Parhad, in his imagination and rendering, goes back and forth between the past, the present and the future. He paints the future of humans, where one can see the word “Danger” written large in a few places. Parhad prepares his pictorial surface using a rough cotton cloth smeared with cow-dung paste mixed with fine mitti, or soil. Rice flour is used for creating the white figures, and some areas are fine-tuned with acrylic paint, charcoal, lal mitti and ash. He uses a bamboo stylus and commercially available brushes to make his paintings.
A wonderful show. What I liked was the pleasant approach of the curator and the gallerist, who enthusiastically walked me through the show even after I told them that I could handle the works myself. But the curatorial explanations made all the difference. Great, and thank you.
JohnyML


No comments:
Post a Comment